Chinese (Simplified)EnglishFrenchGermanItalianJapaneseKoreanRussianSpanish
Jun 182017

A Kuranui College science student has won a rare chance to meet Emmy Award-winning astrophysicist Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson.

An expert on star formation, exploding stars, dwarf galaxies and the structure of our Milky Way, the American best-selling author will be presenting his own guide ‘A Cosmic Perspective’ to a packed-out audience at the Horncastle Arena Christchurch, on 4 July. 

Kuranui’s Amberleigh Rose entered the competition after noticing a poster displayed in her biology classroom. “I love science! The idea of the competition was to submit something that showed your love for science,” she explained.

Kuranui science student Amberlie Rose will meet  Emmy Award-winning astrophysicist Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Kuranui science student Amberlie Rose will meet Emmy Award-winning astrophysicist Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson.

“I thought I’d combine my two favourite things, writing and science, so I wrote a poem. I wrote about how I liked to draw inspiration from the things that I’m learning, especially in my physics class which is my favourite science subject.

“I like the things that I learn in my science classes because you can apply them outside the classroom.

“I entered the competition with no expectations or anything and I won, but I didn’t really understand the prize at first. It’s actually way cooler than I’d thought.”

The year 12 student will join 29 other students from across the country for the show. The prize also includes a pre-show meal, transport, accommodation and a tour of University of Canterbury’s new $200 million Regional Science and Innovation Centre, where prizewinners will also meet with academic staff.

“I think this will be a good experience because I get to go to the University as well, and I get to look around their new science labs, so hopefully it will give me more of an idea of what I’d be getting into if I went into the science field when I leave school.

“I’m interested in the anthropology and sociology and stuff like that, but I’m really keen to learn more about astrophysics,” she added.

MENU