Chinese (Simplified)EnglishFrenchGermanItalianJapaneseKoreanRussianSpanish
Sep 252017

The David Brockett Award for Backstage Achievement is awarded annually to a theatre practitioner working backstage in community theatre in New Zealand.

The 2017 award has been made to Kuranui Year 13 Student and Greytown Little Theatre member Alexander Southey. It was announced at the Theatre New Zealand, ‘Theatre Fest 2017 National Final’ held in Wellington on 17 September.

The Award was presented to Alexander by Greytown Little Theatre President, John Gilberthorpe and Vice President, Victoria Ross at the theatre following a performance of Steel Magnolias.

AJ Southey

Kuranui’s AJ Southey backstage with his award.

Alexander was acknowledged for the significant contribution he has made for his backstage roles at the Greytown Little Theatre since he joined in March 2016, when he undertook the lighting operation for ‘Take a Chance on Me’. He has subsequently worked on every production including; ‘Love Lust and Lies’, ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’, ‘Same Time Next Year’, ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’, ‘Quartet’, ‘I Shall Fly’, Silver Lillies in Concert, ‘An Unseasonable Fall of Snow’ and the most recent production ‘Steel Magnolias’. His roles have included lighting design and operation, sound operator, set construction and design.

John Gilberthorpe, President of Greytown Little Theatre said everyone is delighted that Alexander has won this award. “It’s a well-deserved recognition for the commitment and enthusiastic way Alexander has contributed to the all-important backstage disciplines of our theatre over the last 18 months. Our shows just couldn’t go on unless we have the commitment of backstage crew like Alexander”.

“He’s seen more than 50 performances, attended more than 100 plus rehearsals, spent countless hours rigging lights, building sets and worked with five Directors. These impressive stats don’t even include the shows he has acted in.”

Alexander Southey says he is chuffed with the award. “I’m absolutely blown away and humbled to receive this, my contribution to Greytown Little Theatre couldn’t have been possible without my father accepting me working at the theatre rather than playing rugby. It also could not be possible without my beautifully amazing drama teacher Juanita McLellan. I would like thank Greytown Little theatre for taking a chance on me and putting their faith in a young person such as myself. Thank you to all of my drama whanau”.

“No reira Tena koutou tena koutou tena koutou katoa.”

MENU