The Kuranui College Code is based on respect for self, respect for others and respect for property.
While a student at Kuranui College you are expected to follow this Code. Failure to do so may result in your enrolment being terminated with no refund of fees.
Respect for Self
- School uniform will be worn fully, neatly and correctly at all times.
- No student will smoke at school, or anywhere while in school uniform. Cigarettes, tobacco and matches may not be brought to school.
- Alcohol and drugs have no place in the school; it is a serious breach of the school Code for any such substances to be possessed by any student. (Also see NZ Law.)
- Students will attend all classes and be on time. Late students must obtain a pass from the school’s Student Centre.
- Students must gain permission from their Dean if they need to leave the school during school time.
- A student must bring a letter from their guardian or homestay parent when the student is absent for a day or two, and a Medical Certificate for three days’ absence.
Respect for Others
- Bullying of any kind will not be tolerated.
- Foul language, name-calling and any other forms of verbal abuse are banned.
- Dangerous goods and materials (e.g. knives, fireworks etc.) are not permitted at school.
Respect for Property
- No student will steal or damage any other person’s property.
- Vandalism and graffiti are considered to be anti-social acts and are in breach of the School Code.
General Guidelines that should be noted
- Accidental (or other) damage must be promptly reported to a teacher. Cost of damage will be assessed and students will be expected to pay for damage caused.
- Money or valuables that have to be brought to school must be left in the school office for safekeeping. The College can accept no responsibility for money or valuables brought to school.
- Students are under the control of the school from the time they leave home, and until they return home.
- International Students are not permitted to drive a motor vehicle whilst attending the College.
- Students are bound by this Behaviour Code when in uniform, or when under the College’s control. At all times students should remember that the good name of Kuranui College is in their hands and that their behaviour should be sensible and courteous.
NEW ZEALAND LAW AND DRUGS
You must be at least 18 years old to drink alcohol in New Zealand. If you are under 18, you are not allowed to purchase alcohol or enter a bar or nightclub unless you are with a parent or guardian. It is against the law to drink or have alcohol in your possession in a public place (e.g. on the streets of a city or at the beach). The penalty for breaking laws relating to alcohol can range from fines between NZ$200.00 and $2000.00 to temporary imprisonment.
Recreational Drugs & Tobacco
In New Zealand the penalties for importing and/or selling illegal drugs are severe. It is illegal to possess or consume/smoke drugs including cannabis, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine and LSD. Visitors to New Zealand who are caught with illegal drugs will be sent home and not allowed to return to New Zealand. Cigarettes and tobacco are legal in New Zealand, although it is illegal for shops to sell these items to anyone under 18-years-old. Smoking is prohibited in all bars, clubs, pubs, restaurants, offices, work places, shopping areas and public transport.