Chinese (Simplified)EnglishFrenchGermanItalianJapaneseKoreanRussianSpanish
Sep 072018

Kuranui student Florence Cater won the vocal section of this year’s intercollegiate solo music competition with her rendition of Quiet, from the musical Matilda.

Hosted this year by Rathkeale College, the annual competition is open to all secondary schools across Wairarapa and has four different categories Vocal, Instrumental, Piano and Amplified.

This was the first time Florence had entered the competition and it was nerve wracking. “I was last to perform in my section and it was a little intimidating watching the others go first, but I guess I knew what I was up against. I was shocked that I’d won,” Florence said. “It’s a big achievement and I’m really happy I ended up doing it.”

Florence Cater

Florence Cater – winner at intercollegiate solo music competition

Florence loves singing and also participates in drama and dance. She liked the idea of putting it all together and decided to sing Quiet a composition by Tim Minchin. “This song gave me a chance to really express my vocal range and connect emotionally with the audience.”

The adjudicator Alex Nyman awarded her delivery with high marks expressing that it was highly engaging and theatrical. Florence’s music teacher, Saali Marks, agreed. “She’s worked hard and it showed. There were some great vocalists there and the competition was tough. To win it your first time is pretty remarkable.”

Corban van Manen also represented Kuranui alongside Florence. Both singers train with Marguerite Tait-Jaimeson.

MENU