Chinese (Simplified)EnglishFrenchGermanItalianJapaneseKoreanRussianSpanish
Sep 032019

Clay target shooting isn’t your typical school sport, but Kuranui students Will Isaacs and Oscar Karpinski will be taking part in the New Zealand Secondary School Championships in Hamilton at the end of September.

Over the course of the past year, the students have attended a number of competitions, qualifying for the national championships after three shoots. “There are 6-7 shoots in a year, and you have to do three shoots to get selected for nationals,” explained Isaacs.

“I started the sport because we live on a lifestyle block, and me and Dad did some shooting off the bank, and I really enjoyed it. We looked into it and found out I could do clay target shooting as a sport, so we gave it a go!

“The Championships spans a weekend during the holidays in September, and there are people from all over New Zealand coming to take part.”

Clay Target BoysThe two students will shoot in various styles of shooting over the three days, including down the line, single rise, and single shot. Their hope is to get a full team of five students to represent the school, because they are currently shooting as a composite squad.

Oscar Karpinski is an exchange student from Germany, staying with the Isaacs family, and is enjoying his first taste of non-traditional sports. “Will and his dad shoot as a hobby, and I tried it and really enjoyed it. Then we found out we could enter the secondary school nationals.

“I always look forward to the competitions and practices. It’s been good because I’m not really into sports, I’ve tried football, basketball, everything, but clay target shooting is just something different,” added Karpinski.

Kuranui’s principal, Simon Fuller is delighted to see the two students engaged and excelling in a variety of opportunities. “One of our college goals is to have students engage in their passions and interests. Our students who are involved in cart racing and clay target shooting are doing just that.

“They are representing our college with mana, whilst following their passions. We are encouraging our students to put their interests forward to the college, so we can work with them on supporting their unique endeavours,” he said.

Clay Target 1

MENU