The information here is taken from a Kuranui College powerpoint presentation.
So, you’re coming to the end of your time at Kuranui…
Leaving School Options
- Becoming a tertiary student – maybe
- Being a fulltime employee – maybe
- Having a “Gap Year” – maybe
Whichever option you are considering…
planning needs to start NOW!
Hopefully, this presentation help with some of the things on the “list”.
Don’t put all your eggs in one basket!
Your first career/study/employment decision does not have to be your last and probably won’t be.
Many of the jobs in 10 years time will be ones we haven’t heard of yet.
The important thing is to make a decision – any positive decision!
Indecision will limit your choices.
Plan and Apply
Plan and apply in more than one place. It might be…
- Two universities
- University and a job
- University and a polytechnic
- Other training providers
- Heaps of jobs
Open Days are Showcases
They are worth it and give you a taster as well as showing off and marketing.
- Massey PN and UCOL PN – August 6
- Victoria and Massey Wellington August 29th
- Weltec City– Beauty and Hospitality August 29th
- Weltec Petone – Trades and Computing – Sept 11th
- NZ Institute of Sport – on request
- UCOL Masterton – on request
- Travel Careers and Sir George – by appointment
If you are still needing Level 2, there are a number of Youth Guarantee Trades programmes at:
- Sir George Seymour
These are fee-free for 16–19 year olds.
If you are 18 you may qualify for student allowance and travel costs can be covered.
Applying for Halls of Residence
Applications for Halls of Residence open 1 August and close 1 October.
All need a confidential reference – you have to ask Mr Shepherd for this.
Do not leave until last minute – this means your application will be complete and ready for first round selection.
The applications are completed online.
Student Loans and Allowances
Go to www.studylink.govt.nz – do the eligibility test.
- Student loans – you pay back. At present, they are interest free and you start paying when you earn $19,000.00
- Student allowances – you don’t pay back but are dependent on parent income.
Question: Would a group session applying be helpful?
If you don’t apply, you won’t get one!
Breakout is available at school. It is a scholarship database.
But we are getting ahead
First, there is NCEA.
Make sure you will have what you need….
- University Entrance
- UE Literacy
- NCEA Level 2 or 3
- Specific subject needs.
Every course or career has different needs
- Check out the entry requirements
- UE Literacy
- Make sure you read them thoroughly
- Use www.careers.govt.nz for information
If you are planning to work fulltime
Jobs do not fall out of the sky!
You need to be prepared:
- CV templates on:
- or Kuranui student public – careers and gateway resources
- Interview practice
- Work experience
- Check out:
- Kiwi Recruitment – in Masterton
- The Leaving School magazine
- Jet Magazine
- Training provider guidelines and websites
And mostly PEOPLE – ASK US!