Chinese (Simplified)EnglishFrenchGermanItalianJapaneseKoreanRussianSpanish
Feb 132018

Virtual reality could be on the Kuranui College curriculum in the near future if Ryan McCroskery gets his way, with the former Wellington High School chemistry teacher moving to South Wairarapa armed with bucket-loads of experience in this field from his six years in the UK.

I’m definitely interested in getting virtual reality set up here and there’s a few other things that they want me to do,” he explained. “I’ve seen some software in the UK that is really cool, being able to hold atoms and molecules in your hand and just seeing how they would act amongst the world. A piece of plastic can’t really do that, because it’s still and doesn’t really show that.

I know it could be just another piece of technology, but I’ve seen some exciting stuff and I think we need to be pioneers over here. What attracted me to Kuranui College was that they are innovative with their teaching styles and that’s what I believe I do with my lessons.”

Ryan McCroskery Web

McCroskery is also keen to continue travelling, having made the most of his opportunities whilst abroad.

I did a lot of travelling overseas. Having based myself in London, pretty much every holiday I was going to another country. I like Asian history and seeing the relics and those sorts of things and so I’m also keen to visit China and Japan.

I loved visiting Pompeii in particular and loved seeing the lead pipe, seeing the actual early chemistry and why they used those things in those times. I find that really interesting and like to see how chemistry comes into it.”

Having been brought up in the Waikato, McCroskery is experiencing his first taste of the Wairarapa lifestyle. “One thing I’m finding is that it’s really, really friendly. You know they say New Zealand’s friendly, but I think Wairarapa in particular is really friendly. Everyone is going out of their way to be approachable.

Kuranui is different from what I’m used to: it’s a small school, more of a country school. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on relationships, which you don’t find in some other schools.

This is definitely a relationship-orientated college and I think that one of my strengths is definitely getting kids engaged: thinking about not just the subject, but outside the subject.”

MENU